Monday, June 21, 2010

MilGirl Live and Learn: Karley

Semper Gumby




Today we're talking to Karley aka LCpl Princess from Boonie Caps & Tiaras!



 (They just LOOK like a Marine couple. Adorable!)


Tell us a little about you: I am 25 and in my last year of Nursing School to be a RN, I already have my bachelors in Kinesiology but I wanted a job that would move easily with my husband and I since he is a career Marine. We currently live 14 hrs apart and its miserable! We had a JOP May 8 wedding; we are having our "white wedding" when he gets done with the upcoming deployment! We are from the deep south, and I can't wait to move =)

The branch of service: Marine Corps

How long have you been together/married? together 5 and 1/2 yrs- married one month =)

How did you meet your man? Was it before he decided to sign his life away?: We met in college, he also has his bachelors in Kinesiology and a bachelors in business. We had class together and sparks flew immediately (which was crazy cause I was engaged to someone else at the time! but I called it off, when I met my husband now we both just knew we were soul mates- i know that may sound dumb to some) My husband had not signed his life away, in fact we dated 3 years before we made the choice to become a military family! Boot camp was terrible cause we are one of those couples that does anything and everything together, it was our first time to be apart much less 13 weeks of not hearing his voice and sitting every day by my mailbox crying my eyes out if there was no letter. but I guess it was getting me ready for all the distance our future would hold!

Is he career military? yes, infantry

How did you initially feel about him being in the military?: Well because we made the choice together I was anxious about change, but excited about our future, nervous,  and bummed about the distance

What attracted you to him? Was it the uniform?: No, not the uniform that didnt come for 3 yrs later! Definitely my husbands wittiness and i thought he was so sexy

How does/did your family feel about him being in the military?: they hated it when we made the choice and they still hate it! even though I am the daughter of an Army vet, they didnt want their daughter in the position of having to raise my kids alone at times, and having to take on man duties when he is gone, the thought of combat stresses them out. They were under the impression he was going to law school since he got accpepted in our home town, so when we took a different direction they were unhappy!

Does the sexy uniform (or the sense of pride you feel) make up for the sacrifices you have to make?: haha no the uniform doesn't do anything for the tears, loneliness & fear. I have gotten used to the uniform by now since he wears it daily! What makes it worth it is- the sense of pride, and the fact that my husband handles things so well, he does his best to not make me feel second or neglected though he stays so busy and on the occasion I do get down he lets me vent and gets me back on track haha!

Have your plans been messed up thanks to the military?: oh gosh yes, our original wedding date was last May (we wound up getting married anyway and doing a JOP) but our big wedding was supposed to be last month and because my husband was supposed to be at Mojave Viper for the upcoming deployment I moved it, but then my husband shattered his ankle in training so due to rehab they moved his deployment date again, so I moved our wedding again, and we still arent sure the exact date of our "white wedding"  because I am sure the Marine Corps will have other things in mind SO thats why we went ahead with our JOP =)

Does it motivate you as a couple to get married sooner if he is slated to get orders to leave you (go off to training/school, move to a new duty station –PCS, deploy)? Did you elope? we did elope, and it was due to shifting deployment dates on top of my wedding date haha

What is one piece of advice you had received PRIOR to getting married or while dating? I got tons of advice on my blog! Communication is key to a military relationship, being patient, and flexible, and keep your own hobbies that make you, you. Dont let becoming a military wife become you, your future husband fell in love with YOU (not DEERS, LINKS,FRG or TRICARE). I know my husband loves that I still have my own identity cause he deals with military ALL day I am a refuge, a breath of fresh air =)

Thanks Karley for being this week's MilGirl!
I hope you loved learning about her today.

Are YOU a MilGirl (wife, fiancee, girlfriend?) and want to be interviewed?
email me at date [dot] a [dot] marine [at] gmail [dot] com!

Is there something else you want to ask the MilGirls? Let me know!

1 comment:

  1. hi! love the blog...and i love that you interview milgirls :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments bring me sunshine! Thank you. :D

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs