Monday, April 12, 2010

I don't run...

Running is not my friend. The whole wheezing and lack of air in my lungs is not my idea of fun.  I've been compelled to volunteer more than once for various causes that do fundraising through walks, like LiveStrong Challenge.  I've volunteered 3 years in a row with them. I've never walked/run/biked it though... I'm kind of a wuss (like my friend Henry likes to say when I can't swish Listerine because it makes me cry, but I digress).

When my bloggy idol Rachel of A Little Pink in a world of Cammo announced that she would be running in her late husband's (Cpl. Porto's) honor in the 5th annual Run for the Warriors, I was touched. First, to donate.  I rarely donate. Not because it's not important but because there are often too many important causes. Second, to register myself for the 5k.  Then to recruit friends to do it with me so I wouldn't chicken out.

I'll be running my silly self across the finish line on 5/15 with a few friends because this isn't about money or a good cause.  It is my physical effort to prove my gratitude for the people who serve this country.  You can show your support too!

"The mission of Hope for the Warriors® is to enhance quality of life for US Service Members and their families nationwide who have been adversely affected by injuries or death in the line of duty. Hope for the Warriors® actively seeks to ensure that the sacrifices of wounded and fallen warriors and their families are never forgotten nor their needs unmet, particularly with regard to the short and long-term care of the severely injured.

On their own, our service members and their families are awe inspiring in the face of their disabilities and hardships - courageous and resolute. However, it is with the support of a grateful nation that they remain unfaltering in their determination and find hope and purpose beyond recovery. As a united support network, all individuals, whether of great or small means, can find an opportunity to honor those who have willingly sacrificed to defend and protect our freedom. We invite you to take part in the inspirational lives of these young men and women and make it known that they never stand alone."

She has exceeded her fundraising goal of $1,000 but every bit helps. This is Rachel's Run for the Warriors Page.

If you feel compelled to support my entry, I am trying to raise a bit of change for the cause (significantly less than Rachel's).  Please visit my page to show your support!

3 comments:

  1. It is so awesome you are doing this! I hate running as well... but I know you'll be able to push through to the end =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. SOOO FANTASTIC! I'm hoping to donate after payday!!! ;o))) You are a wonderful support!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay Reina! You will kick butt I'm sure:) Next up, mini-marathon - before you know it you will be killing Daves PT scores (ok maybe not at least I don't with D's but a girl can dream!:))

    ReplyDelete

Your comments bring me sunshine! Thank you. :D

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs